Re: adjustment and hyphenation in mdoc(7) pages

From: G. Branden Robinson
Subject: Re: adjustment and hyphenation in mdoc(7) pages
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2023 02:40:58 -0500

At 2023-03-24T00:55:50-0500, G. Branden Robinson wrote:
> I can reproduce the problem.  In groff Git what is also noticeable
> is that groff mdoc(7) now adjusts to both margins by default as is
> historically correct for man pages.  (Yes, you can turn this off; see
> groff_mdoc(7).)
>
> But it is not correct to do this in synopsis sections.  When I enabled
> both-margin adjustment for mdoc(7) in the 1.23.0 development cycle I
> neglected to handle this.  So that's unfortunately a regression (or
> exposure of a latent bug) from groff 1.22.4.  (I didn't notice because I
> don't test a corpus of mdoc(7) test documents apart from groff_mdoc(7),
> which _does_ exercise nearly every mdoc(7) macro that exists--its
> original purpose is in part exercising the package--but doesn't have a
> lengthy synopsis.)  Time for a regression test.

I wrote a regression test and feel less embarrassed about this bug now.

I had forgotten that mdoc(7) rendering in groff 1.22.4 had a lot of
problems.  This newer/latent defect doesn't conceal the headers or
footers, blitz the terminal with blank lines, or emit diagnostics
due to an error in the package itself rather than the user's document.

Filed as <https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?63957>.

Regards,
Branden