Re: groff man(1) page

From: G. Branden Robinson
Subject: Re: groff man(1) page
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2023 08:55:38 -0500

[redirecting to groff@gnu discussion list]

Hi Mike,

At 2023-03-30T20:51:06-0700, Mike Fulton wrote:
> When I perform 'man groff', I am getting a failure when iconv converts
> from UTF-8 to ISO8859-1 on the groff 1.22.4 17 December 2018 built
> tarball. The angle brackets from the .UR and .UE entries do not
> convert properly (they show up as spaces and I see a failure after
> quitting 'man')
>
> I have reduced this down to the angled brackets being generated in UTF-8
> that can't be converted to ISO8859-1, in particular for the text:
>
> ```
> GNU <http://www.gnu.org>
> ```
>
> which comes from:
>
> ```
>
> system within the free software collection
> .UR http://\:www.gnu.org
> GNU
> .UE .
>
> ```
>
> The text in the intermediate UTF-8 file has UTF-8 angle bracket
> characters.
>
> When I manually try to do translation of the intermediate UTF-8 file,
> I can confirm that iconv fails on the UTF-8 open angled bracket.
>
> Unfortunately the latest dev code seems to have removed the .UR and
> .UE reference so I can't show the problem in the dev line - so I'm
> curious if this was a bug or just a code change?
>
> I am seeing this failure on z/OS. When I try to run on the Mac via
> brew install, it works fine but it is a slightly newer time stamp of
> man page (23 December 2018).
>
> Apologies if this was already asked - I didn't see it when I searched
> for man page issues.

I in turn must apologize because I have a variety of independent
observations to share.

There have been significant changes to the groff man(7) package in
groff's Git repository since 1.22.4 was released.  Since the groff(1)
man page is written using the man(7) macro package, changes to the
package impact the rendering of document, just as changes to the
document itself can.

We are currently attempting to finalize groff 1.23.0 for release; the
latest release candidate, 1.23.0.rc3, was tagged a little over a month
ago.  You can obtain it from the alpha.gnu.org site.

https://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/groff/

z/OS is one of the environments I'm intensely curious to hear feedback
about; we don't often hear from z/OS users on the groff development
list, and I am curious about many aspects of current character encoding
support on that operating system.  There may be claims about code page
1047 in groff's documentation that are outdated and require correction.

Getting to the particulars of the issue you reported...

1.  groff man(7) does indeed attempt to mark up URIs with angle bracket
    glyphs that are not found in the ISO 8859 character sets.

2.  I feel like the man(1) program on your system should not be trying
    to get groff to format documents using the UTF-8 character encoding
    if they are going to have to be degraded to ISO Latin-1 afterwards.
    groff's terminal output driver, grotty(1), supports the production
    of ISO Latin-1 directly.  I therefore feel that iconv(1) should not
    be involved.

3.  iconv(1) could fall back to Unicode basic Latin "<" and ">"
    characters for the left and right angle brackets, U+2329 and U+232A,
    respectively.

4.  So too could groff; we have a mechanism for defining fallbacks for
    unavailable glyphs.  The special character escape sequences for
    angle brackets are \(la and \(ra.  These are not portable to (some)
    descendants of AT&T troff, so groff man(7) uses them only if the
    formatter is not GNU troff.  However, at present, and even in groff
    Git HEAD, we do not define fallbacks for \[la] and \[ra] to < and >,
    respectively.  I don't know why this has been overlooked for so
    long.  Perhaps there is an argument against it?  (Such definitions,
    if they were implemented, would appear in the tmac/tty.tmac or
    tmac/tty-char.tmac files, which are installed to a directory like
    /usr/share/groff/1.23.0/tmac).

5.  You might be able to work around this issue by editing your
    man.local file to define the fallbacks.  On my Debian system, this
    file is installed to /etc/groff/man.local; I'm not sure where it
    appears in the build of groff for z/OS that you're using.  We've
    improved our man pages to better document where these files go, but
    unfortunately those improvements are post-1.22.4 developments.
    Perhaps your system's package manager can help you locate this file.

I'm hesitant to recommend a specific recipe for defining such fallbacks
before I better understand how your system's man(1) is invoking
groff(1), because what I suggest might not work.  Also my recommendation
might do you no good if you don't have Unix permissions to edit the
man.local file.

There is also the issue that even on a UTF-8 terminal, if the font the
terminal emulator is using doesn't have coverage for code points,
they won't appear anyway; neither groff nor man(1) have any means of
obtaining this information.

Please advise how you'd like to proceed, and I will try to help.

Regards,
Branden