grub-devel

Re: Status of GRUB / GRUB2?

From: Yoshinori K. Okuji
Subject: Re: Status of GRUB / GRUB2?
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 15:44:25 +0200

On Wednesday 21 July 2004 06:13, Martin Baute wrote:
> How can there be a GRUB *2* if there never was a GRUB *1*
> to speak of? I'd expect at least a 1.0 file release - however
> incomplete and inferor that version might feel for you - that
> people can use and rely upon until that GRUB 2 materializes.

Since Macro answered other questions, I reply only to this question.

1.0 will never be released. This is because GRUB Legacy has missing
features to be 1.0 but it is not worth developing any further. So we do
only bugfixes and beta releases. IMHO, it is much more efficient to
create a better boot loader (i.e. GRUB 2).

I know some people worry about version numbers too much. But what do you
get from version numbers really? Nothing. That's why GRUB Legacy is
used widely by many people and vendors, although the version is the
horrible "0.9x". GRUB Legacy is not released publicly yet. So what?
Most people do not care about version numbers anyway. They just care
about if the software is really usable or not.

For me, version numbers are just like "date + compatibility
information". If the major version is different, it means that
compatibility is not perfect. If the minor version is different, it
means that it's released at a different time.

Okuji