grub-devel

Re: backtrace support

From: Vincent Guffens
Subject: Re: backtrace support
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 23:19:40 +0200

Marco Gerards wrote:
Vincent Guffens <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Vincent,

After having searched for the reason of the unaligned pointer caused
by the nested functions bug, I thought that it could be interesting to
have a backtrace in grub. It would be triggered in grub_fatal and
would print the last few function calls that triggered the problem.

Neat!  I would like to have this in GRUB2 for debugging.  If Okuji
likes it too and you can send in a Changelog entry as well, I will
proofread the patch so it can be applied ASAP.

cool ! I will wait a little bit for your comments and those from Okuji as there are a few changes I made that I'm not sure if they are very clean, especially those in genmk.rb. I used some "cat config.h" and maybe there are some better ways. Also, I did not mention that the debuging symbol list is somehow redundant with the already existing symbol list but that way, it does not modify anything if the backtrace support is not compiled in.

Should the Changelog entries be included in the patch or is it generated with the cvs log and it should then be sent in the mail body ?