grub-devel

Re: grub2 multiboot for ppc and system initalization

From: Cyril Plisko
Subject: Re: grub2 multiboot for ppc and system initalization
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 23:49:26 +0200

> > As in x86 and sparc, the multiboot strap is basically not the real kernel,
> > but a loader to load ramdisk and initializer of system before exitto unix
> > module. Here comes several choices about the system initialization:
>
> Can you explain that?  Usually the kernel loaded by multiboot *is* a
> real kernel.  So I don't understand what you mean.  Perhaps you are
> confused by a single implementation.

I think Noah is talking about Solaris x86. Indeed Solaris x86 provides
multiboot compliant program which is not a real kernel, but rather an
aux module which assembles the kernel from the archive loaded by
GRUB. Anyway, that is a "single implementation" case.

> > 3. grub2 network is not available (Marco planned to work on it on Feb as
> > posted from grub wiki), shall we port the solaris network stack
> > (src/stand/lib) for grub or wait?
>
> Please wait and who is we?

I believe that "we" would be Solaris/PPC developers. Some of us are on
this list.

--
Regards,
        Cyril