grub-devel

Re: Executable stacks

From: Petteri Räty
Subject: Re: Executable stacks
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2006 23:58:33 +0200

Marco Gerards wrote:
> Petteri Räty <address@hidden> writes:
>

>>Hello. GRUB2 contains executable stacks. Usually these are not needed
>>and can be easily fixed.
>

> It's funny that you mention this now. :-)
>
> There have been a lot of reports about this already, see the
> mailinglist archives.  Because of this I have added a page to the
> wiki, which I just finished a few seconds ago:
>
> http://grub.enbug.org/NestedFunctions
>
> Please proofread it to make sure the facts are correct.  Although this
> is a wiki, I hope people don't just change it so it reflects their
> opinion instead of the facts I carefully added to this page.  I am
> saying this because people for some reason are a bit fanatic about
> this issue. ;-)

I am not an expert in this area. Our tools just automatically warn you
about executable stacks so I reported it here.

"Some operating systems and GNU/Linux distributions don't have an
executable stack for security reasons. Sometimes it does not have an
executable stack by default, but the executable stack can be enabled
again by tagging the binary."

Better wording would be that some distributions don't allow executable
stacks for security reasons and I did this modification to the wiki.

"Another solution is enabling the executable stack again by calling some
function."

This is really vague. I think this should be dropped unless you can
specify the name of the function but I leave the decision to you. I also
had trouble understanding some of the stuff on the page but then again I
am not an expert in these issues.

Regards,
Petteri