grub-devel

Feature request: MBR backup

From: wobble
Subject: Feature request: MBR backup
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2006 23:04:55 +0000

Hello everyone,

I'd like to propose a backup-mechanism for GRUB2.
On installation the old MBR could easily be stored in the partition hosting
the stage2.
That would allow for a clean self-destruction of GRUB2 as it could simply
overwrite its own MBR-data if required.

I guess many people install grub to play a little with linux/fbsd/etc and
afterwards have a messed-up MBR and they want their Windows back. Such a
feature would prevent a lot of support-requests I believe.

Cheers

Jan