grub-devel

Re: Problem installing GRUB2 on a 2.1TB system

From: Marco Gerards
Subject: Re: Problem installing GRUB2 on a 2.1TB system
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 23:14:55 +0100

Poe Chen <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm the same guy who has successfully floppy boot GRUB2 on a 2.1TB system.
> =)
>
> Here are the problems that I've encountered to get GRUB2 installed onto my
> system running CentOS 4.2 with latest updates.
>
> -grub-probefs can't detect the file system on my server.
>
> Here are the system info:
>
> address@hidden ~]# df -k
> Filesystem           1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
> /dev/sda2              4032124   2810480   1016816  74% /
> /dev/sda1               101086     11576     84291  13% /boot
> none                    516768         0    516768   0% /dev/shm
> /dev/sda4            2300710112   1547872 2182292912   1% /home
>
> And here is the result:
>
> address@hidden ~]# grub-probefs -v /dev/sda
> grub-probefs: info: changing current directory to /dev
> grub-probefs: info: changing current directory to cpu
> grub-probefs: info: changing current directory to mapper
> grub-probefs: info: changing current directory to input
> grub-probefs: info: changing current directory to net
> grub-probefs: info: changing current directory to shm
> grub-probefs: info: changing current directory to pts
> cannot find a GRUB device for /dev/sda.

What kind of filesystem do you use?  Can you show the output of
`mount'?

Please be *very* careful with installing on GPT.  The only way to use
GRUB with GPT is by using a floppy.  This is because it does not have
a bootsector.  The intended way of booting such system is by using
EFI.  Unfortunately I don't have such system available and GRUB 2 is
not changed so it can deal with EFI.

Also see my other email regarding this issue:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/grub-devel/2005-11/msg00163.html

Any ideas and suggestions regarding this problem are welcome.  I
expect more people will run into this problem.

Thanks,
Marco