grub-devel

Re: 1-based partition numbering

From: Hollis Blanchard
Subject: Re: 1-based partition numbering
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2006 14:14:04 -0500

On Mon, 2006-06-05 at 21:04 +0200, Yoshinori K. Okuji wrote:
> So I have changed the partition numbering to 1-based. The strategy is that we
> use 1-based only for the string representation of a device, while keeping
> 0-based internally. I think this is more intuitive for hacking. I assume that
> I have modified all relevant parts, but I might have missed some parts. If
> you find anything not working well, let me know.

If I understand correctly, that means a user will specify "(hd,1)" to
mean "the first partition on device 'hd'", where they used to specify
"(hd,0)"?

I'm very happy to see that; I agree with the decision. However, I was a
bit surprised as well. I haven't been following grub-devel that closely
recently, but I didn't see any proposal about it. Did I miss it?

-Hollis