grub-devel

Re: [Fwd: Re: [LinuxBIOS] grub2 as payload

From: Stefan Reinauer
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: [LinuxBIOS] grub2 as payload
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 22:57:44 +0100

* Marco Gerards <address@hidden> [061025 19:41]:

> >> - add support for compiling grub2 as an elf image.
>
> This is possible already.  If the ELF image has specific demands, it
> will not be hard to make such changes.

How do I do this. Running configure and make on a checked out
grub2 tree leaves me with many many modules. Can you hit my head
to some documentation on how to do this?

* Is grub-mkimage the way to go? It produces a multiboot image, no ELF.
  I understand the final image has to be composed from the modules.

* which module contains the int13 disk code ? So I dont accidentially
  use it.

* what modules are required to display a grub menu over a serial
  console and boot a kernel (bzimage) and initrd from ext2? (assuming
  there is no reiserfs driver yet)

  What others do I need? Which ones dont I need?
  - boot.mod
  - ext2.mod
  - elf.mod
  - gzio.mod?
  - (_)linux.mod
  - normal.mod(?)
  - pc.mod
  - terminal.mod
  - terminfo.mod

*  What's the difference between _chain and chain?
   multiboot and _multiboot?

Sorry for the stupid questions, but the documentation is rather short,
still:
"GRUB 2 Documentation is under development."

      Tel.: +49 761 7668825 • Fax: +49 761 7664613
Email: address@hidden  • http://www.coresystems.de/