grub-devel

Re: ping (update-grub2)

From: Yoshinori K. Okuji
Subject: Re: ping (update-grub2)
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 08:26:48 +0100

On Monday 27 November 2006 18:00, Robert Millan wrote:
> No comments?  Are you interested in getting this into the main grub tree?
> In my opinion, since update-grub needs a rewrite it's a good oportunity to
> merge this now and unify grub.cfg generation across distributions
> (something that wasn't possible with the old update-grub because of
> copyright issues).
>
> That said, if you don't like the idea then we could proceed adding it in
> debian, but that might close the door to merging in the future (maintaining
> the script in debian ourselves implies accepting contributions from many
> people without any paperwork arrangements).

I describe my own opinion. If others do not agree, let me know.

If the script is generic enough, and other projects are willing to use it, it
is convenient to put it in official versions ("official" means "upstream" in
Debian, but I don't like the term "upstream" very much, BTW). So, in this
case, I accept it. But if it is used only for Debian, I don't think it is
worth doing.

I know it is not so nice to put distribution-specific scripts in official
versions with my past experience, because official versions are not always
synchronized with distribution versions, so when a script in an official
version is "outdated" for a distribution, it is necessary to locally patch
the script, and this effort can be quite painful, if you always need to make
patches for every version.

That's why we don't have the directory "debian" any longer. We had it in GRUB
legacy in version 0.5.92 or something when Gordon was the maintainer of the
GRUB package in Debian. But this became really annoying after Gordon got
inactive, because I had no idea on how to maintain it, as I was not a Debian
user then. And, someone (I think he was Jason Thomas) complained, and I
decided to drop it from the official version.

Okuji