grub-devel

Re: Question about the GNU Grub ideas

From: Yoshinori K. Okuji
Subject: Re: Question about the GNU Grub ideas
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 00:44:16 +0100

On Thursday 22 March 2007 23:49, Jeroen Dekkers wrote:
> > I am a potential student applicant for the "Google-summer -of -code"
> > program. And I am strongly interested in the GNU Grub project, especially
> > for the porting grubs to the EFI-based PC platform idea. But there are
> > few messages or information about EFI porting for grub2. So I have some
> > questions about this idea.
>
> I don't have any experience with EFI, but as far as I know GRUB2
> already boots on intel macs and other EFI-based x86 machines. Although
> it probably still needs a lot of work, that isn't going to be enough
> for a Summer of Code project.

Why not enough? EFI has a significant amount of share in the market, and I see
nothing bad with working on EFI stuff.

I have already written the status in the wiki:

http://grub.enbug.org/TestingOnEFI

In addition, we need Multiboot support on EFI as well.

> My experience is that while you can develop and test on such things,
> real hardware has subtle differences most of the time and you always
> need hardware to test whether it really works.

Definitely. You can use emulators for development, but you need real hardware
at some point. Note that the payment from SoC is good enough to buy a Mac
Mini, for example.

Okuji