grub-devel

Re: NTFS file system driver (update 3)

From: Marco Gerards
Subject: Re: NTFS file system driver (update 3)
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 13:07:17 +0200

Bean <address@hidden> writes:

> On Mon, Jul 30, 2007 at 01:19:32PM +0200, Marco Gerards wrote:
>> Can you pass it around inside one of the structs?  I understand that
>> passing it around as parameter is not really nice.  The problem is
>> that this might actually break other code, which I want to prevent.  I
>> hope you see this might become a serious problem?
>
> Ok, I pass the hook around using parameter, please see if there is other
> problem.

It looks like you still use the read hook, as in you change the read
hook of the disk, am I right?  With passing "it" around I meant some
hook, not the disk-> hook.  Because this is more like a higher level
function, using this in the filesystem has some problems like I will
describe below.

I noticed in your other email that you were playing with the blocklist
command.  Did you check if the blocklist that is returned by the
blocklist command is *exactly* as it is supposed to be?  So that no
blocks are missing or added because of your code?

My main problem is this...  You do not need a hook for this.  Can you
please in detail describe what the hook is supposed to do?  The main
reason why I ask about this is that you do not need the hook *at all*.
It makes the code very hard to understand and I am, as you noticed,
afraid that it might break the blocklist feature.

If you need a block number for certain data, you can better make a
function to calculate the block number somehow.  Or store it, or
whatever.  I am sure you would use something like this if there was no
hook, so can't you just pretend that this hook does not exist?

If something is not clear yet, feel free to ask me.  My problem is
that I can not fully understand the code yet.  But if you show me
where to look and tell me what certain things do, I am certainly
willing to invest some time in this.

Thanks,
Marco