grub-devel

Re: Outline menu

From: Vesa Jääskeläinen
Subject: Re: Outline menu
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2007 18:23:24 +0200

Markus Elfring wrote:
>> Menu commands can have children already so you would get hierarchy
>> information from there. Shortcut key you could just add as extra
>> argument for menu, like --hotkey="1"
>
> Will an explanation of the data format be added to the wiki?

I assume someone will at some point write documentation about grub
scripting language. You are free to start the documentation project.
Just to point it out, grub scripting language works like entering
commands in the prompt. Its just a sequence of multiple commands.

Those below are an example what menu definition would look in grub
scripting language:

>> In example:
>> menu "foo" {
>>   menu "bar" {
>>     menu "zot" {
>>     }
>>   }
>> }
>
> Can an item be reused at different levels in the hierarchy without repetition
> of
> its definition (attribute set)?

Depending what you mean by attribute set. In case you mean visual look,
then that was the plan you could eg. define menuitem and if you do not
have more stricter definitions then that would be used for every
menuitem. In case you mean cloning menu hierarchy under other name, then
that is not planned (and I do not even see a need for it).

>> Though I am not sure how well this outline view is supported by the
>> current parser. Marco, perhaps you could share some insights?
>
> How is the state of the GRUB 2 menu browser at the moment?

There is old text menu, and that will be replaced with the new design
when its development starts.

>> I had a look at example mp3 playlist in opml format and it seems to be
>> data description language (like what xml is). What we have in grub
>> script is a scripting language that has commands to construct data (menu).
>
> Is a manual available already?

See above about grub scripting language.