grub-devel

Re: serial port

From: Daryl Van Humbeck
Subject: Re: serial port
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2007 23:18:30 -0800

Vesa Jääskeläinen wrote:
Robert Millan wrote:

On Sun, Nov 18, 2007 at 12:33:00PM +0100, Marco Gerards wrote:

Robert Millan <address@hidden> writes:
Perhaps because the serial command sets it up?  Although I agree it
seems a bit weird that it works this way.  Perhaps it should be
enabled with the same defaults from the beginning?

One problem of initializing it is that hardware will be accessed,
while it might not be desirable.

Maybe we could move this to grub_term.init ?  This way hardware is not
accessed untill user requests a switch.

This is the same way it works with gfxterm. You define video mode
beforehand of the switch.

But there is actually a one architectual issue here... How are we going
to support graphical terminal and serial terminal at the same time? eg.
allow user to enable multiple terminals...