grub-devel

Re: Debian Packaging

From: Robert Millan
Subject: Re: Debian Packaging
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2008 10:11:22 +0100

On Tue, Jan 08, 2008 at 11:26:13AM +1300, Centurion Computer Technology (2005)
Ltd wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-01-07 at 23:13 +0100, Robert Millan wrote:
> > That's a mirror of our CVS, right?  You mean that you want me to add the
> > debian
> > stuff to CVS, or... ?
>
> Hopefully Pavel can enlighten us on how  this relates to CVS.  I thought
> everything was/had moved to git.  I assume that if youa dd it to CVS
> then it will be magically replicated in the git repository

Uhm yes, I suppose so.  Well, anyway, I don't think adding the debian directory
to official GRUB CVS is a good idea.  Debian has its own policies, and there
are strong reasons for having the packaging be split from upstream.

Perhaps there's an easier way to archive what you need.  For example, you could
simply grab the latest debian package, and start working from there.  Then you
can revision-control your tree with git;  this worked well for me (I made a
local SVN repository for my own use when working on the LinuxBIOS port).

> > I'm sorry but I'm not familiar with git.  I know it supports strange
> > branching
> > stuff but that's about it :-)
>
> For debian there is also cool tools like git-buildpackage which runs the
> dbuild process straight out of the git tree and git-dch for updating the
> changelog with the comments out of gits commit logs.  Definitely worth a
> play.

I might have a look when I have some free time.  Just not now :-)

--
Robert Millan

(as seen on /.)