grub-devel

Using GRUB2 with CoreBoot (formerly known as LinuxBIOS) 1/4: Find tables

From: Patrick Georgi
Subject: Using GRUB2 with CoreBoot (formerly known as LinuxBIOS) 1/4: Find tables
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2008 17:44:42 +0000 (UTC)

Hi,

I had several issues with getting GRUB2 to run on CoreBoot (aka
LinuxBIOS), which I'll describe here.

They're rather trivial (I have patches), so someone with a working
relationship with the FSF, experience with the GRUB2 codebase and C, and
15 minutes time for each issue should be able to fix these issues in a
way suitable for GRUB2 mainline.

First issue: Right now, grub2 has a hard coded location for the lbtables
and gives up if they're not there.
According to the coreboot sources, these tables can start anywhere
between 0x500 and 0x1000, or between 0xf0000 and 0x100000 at a 16 byte
boundary.
To find it, checking for the "LBIO"-signature (as is done already) should
be enough.

Regards,
Patrick Georgi