grub-devel

Re: Transparent decompression with file system filter

From: Yoshinori K. Okuji
Subject: Re: Transparent decompression with file system filter
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 20:51:53 +0100

On Sunday 13 January 2008 08:38, Bean wrote:
> Hi,
>
> any suggestion about this patch ? i would like to commit it soon.

I am sorry that I forgot to reply.

I would like to know how you intend to approach the following issues:

- If you want to support, for example, an ecrypted and compressed file, in the
current implementation, each hook must try other hooks recursively. I believe
that this should be done at grub_file_open_ex rather than at every hook. Is
there any pitfall with this way?

- There are some cases where the user wants to skip some decoding features
(i.e. decryptions and decompressions). For instance, gunzip does not make
sense for initrd, since the linux kernel performs this. But if the user uses
other compression algorithms (e.g. LZMA), GRUB must decompress it before
transferring control to the kernel. Or, in the case of Multiboot modules, an
OS image might want to keep compressed modules as they are, but have GRUB to
decrypt them, if they are encrypted. How does the user select which hooks
should be applied (from the viewpoint of UI)?

Because your aim is quite broad (which is a good thing), I think we need to
consider possible use cases carefully, to make sure that the API is good
enough.

Okuji