grub-devel

Re: Docs

From: Yoshinori K. Okuji
Subject: Re: Docs
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 12:28:50 +0100

On Thursday 31 January 2008 09:46, Franklin PIAT wrote:
> After some thoughts, I'll release the documentation[1] I wrote, with
> copyright assignments to FSF, Dual licensed under GPL+GFDL.

Thank you very much.

> I wish I could have left it on a Wiki, then do docbook/xml export, then
> converting it to info+manpages...
>
> * But I guess it won't be possible if we need copyright assignments
>   from contributors (although I think it might be possible to make some
>   group based ACLs in Moinmoin wiki).

I (or maybe Marco as well?) can set up an ACL, if you wish.

> * What do you think about maintaining the documentation in docbook
>   then converting it to texinfo ? Would it fit FSF Coding style ?

Docbook is acceptable. In fact, it is used in some projects in GNU (such as
GNOME, IIRC).

But I think the problem is mostly the reusability. I believe that we can reuse
several parts of the GRUB manual (for GRUB Legacy) as they are, and this is
in texinfo format.

>   I've had a deeper look at Texinfo : The specification are larger
>   that html (i don't have the time to learn it)... And I haven't
>   fount authoring tool, etc...

It looks big, only because the texinfo manual contains a lot of examples. In
reality, much smaller than the Docbook spec. And, you know, HTML does not
specify printing.

Anyway, the best way of using texinfo is to start from examples. In our case,
you can copy the manual from GRUB Legacy, and tweak it. FYI, Emacs supports
texinfo very well.

Okuji