grub-devel

Re: Does grub2 solve this problem I am having with grub1? RE: usbsticks.

From: Paul Elliott
Subject: Re: Does grub2 solve this problem I am having with grub1? RE: usbsticks.
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 15:45:40 -0600

On Fri, Feb 01, 2008 at 03:14:51PM -0500, Pavel Roskin wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-02-01 at 12:44 -0600, Paul Elliott wrote:
> > > One possible approach would be to use LVM (Logical Volume Manager) -
> > > it's supported by grub2.  You could install grub on a small boot
> > > partition and allocate the rest to as an LVM partition, that would be
> > > split into volumes.  Then you could refer to the volumes by name.
> > >

> > This seems a long way to drag the cat around the barn. Or this
> > would be like kicking dead whales down the beach. One should
> > not have to invoke the complexity of LVN just so one can specify
> > partitions.
>
> OK, let's fix GRUB.
>
> As for the expansion issue, I think I see how to fix it.
> grub_script_arg_add() should append expanded variables to the last
> argument, rather than allocate a new argument, unless the new argument
> is separated by spaces from the previous one.
>
> GRUB_SCRIPT_ARG_TYPE_STR and GRUB_SCRIPT_ARG_TYPE_VAR are "write only".
> I think we should discard grub_script_arg_type_t or use it to keep track
> of spaces in the input.
>
> As for the "boot_device", it could be set in the same place as "root",
> namely in grub_set_root_dev() in kern/main.c.

Ok, you are well into grub2 internals, and beond the areas I am
familiar with.

I am glad the problem is being addressed and glad I could be
helpfull in pointing out the problem.

When grub2 is finished, I will look in the manual and see what
syntax I need to use to solve problems like this.

--
Paul Elliott                       1(512)837-1096
address@hidden                    PMB 181, 11900 Metric Blvd Suite J