grub-devel

Re: comments about /etc/default/grub

From: Robert Millan
Subject: Re: comments about /etc/default/grub
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 16:56:22 +0100

On Tue, Feb 12, 2008 at 05:55:10PM -0500, Pavel Roskin wrote:

> Let's use the same grub.d (in /usr/local/etc for local install and
> in /etc for system install).  What we need is a site template and a
> vendor template.
>
> I think the templates should be sourced before 00_header.  Maybe the
> numbers should be shifted, so that we have 10_site, 20_vendor, 30_header
> etc and still have gaps for more stuff.  Or the templates should have a
> distinctive suffix.

That would require some redesign;  note that the current process is:

  - update-grub sources /etc/default/grub
  - update-grub exports a number of predefined variables
  - update-grub execs every script in /etc/grub.d/

So right now variables set in /etc/grub.d/00_foo can't be used by
/etc/grub.d/10_bar.

> The assignments should be written like this:
>
> : ${GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=foo=bar quux=1}

What does this do?  It doesn't seem to have effect when GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX
is already set.

> In some cases, appending more stuff would be preferred, but for
> GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX, it's better to allow the earlier templates or the
> environment to cancel the additions.

How would this work?

--
Robert Millan

<DRM> What use is a phone call… if you are unable to speak?
(as seen on /.)