grub-devel

Re: Starting grub 2 from grub legacy?

From: Arthur Marsh
Subject: Re: Starting grub 2 from grub legacy?
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 04:58:41 +1030

ardoRic wrote, on 2008-02-14 05:20:
Hi.

I tried it and didn't exactly work.

the grub entry you are looking for is:

title Chainload Grub2
root (hd0,0) # or whatever your root is
kernel /boot/grub/core.img
savedefault

This is what i had before commenting it out, and i tried it out and works.

Regards,
Ricardo Silva

On Feb 13, 2008 4:41 PM, ardoRic <address@hidden> wrote:
Hello there,

running 'dpkg-reconfigure grub-pc' doesnt get you that option back ?

Ricardo Silva

I have in /boot/grub/menu.lst for grub-legacy:

[edit]

title           Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.23 (recovery mode)
root            (hd0,4)
kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.23 root=/dev/hda5 ro noisapnp single
initrd          /boot/initrd.img-2.6.23
savedefault

title Chainload Grub2
root (hd0,4) # or whatever your root is
kernel /boot/grub/core.img
savedefault

[end quote]

and I get a looping invalid syntax error when I select the "Chainload Grub2" option on the grub-legacy menu, but I can load kernels like the one listed above alright from grub-legacy.

Could the:

# or whatever your root is

on the same line as:

root (hd0,4)

be the problem?

ls /boot/grub
acorn.mod       gfxterm.mod                     normal.mod
affs.mod        gpt.mod                         pc.mod
amiga.mod       grub.cfg                        play.mod
apple.mod       gzio.mod                        pxeboot.img
bitmap.mod      halt.mod                        raid.mod
blocklist.mod   hello.mod                       reboot.mod
boot.img        help.mod                        reiserfs_stage1_5
boot.mod        hfs.mod                         search.mod
cat.mod         hfsplus.mod                     sfs.mod
_chain.mod      iso9660.mod                     stage1
chain.mod       iso9660_stage1_5                stage2
cmp.mod         jfs.mod                         sun.mod
command.lst     jfs_stage1_5                    terminal.mod
configfile.mod  kernel.img                      terminfo.mod
core.img        _linux.mod                      test.mod
default         linux.mod                       tga.mod
device.map      loopback.mod                    ufs2_stage1_5
diskboot.img    ls.mod                          ufs.mod
e2fs_stage1_5   lvm.mod                         vbeinfo.mod
elf.mod         menu.lst                        vbe.mod
ext2.mod        menu.lst~                       vbetest.mod
fat.mod         menu.lst_backup_by_grub2_prerm  video.mod
fat_stage1_5    minix.mod                       videotest.mod
ffs_stage1_5    minix_stage1_5                  vstafs_stage1_5
font.mod        moddep.lst                      xfs.mod
fshelp.mod      _multiboot.mod                  xfs_stage1_5
fs.lst          multiboot.mod

dpkg -l grub-pc
ii grub-pc 1.96+20080213- GRand Unified Bootloader, version 2 (PC/BIOS