grub-devel

Re: Please support installation on Xen virtual block devices

From: Pavel Roskin
Subject: Re: Please support installation on Xen virtual block devices
Date: Sun, 11 May 2008 01:35:42 -0400

On Sat, 2008-05-10 at 13:03 +0100, Ian Campbell wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-05-09 at 14:53 +0200, Robert Millan wrote:
> > If you want to test the full functionality, try using grub-probe to convert
> > /dev/xvda1 to a grub drive (this checks GRUB knows how to count partitions
> > in Xen devices).
>
> I get these results:
>         d-i:~# grub-probe -t drive /
>         (hd0,1)
>         d-i:~# grub-probe -t drive -d /dev/xvda
>         (hd0)
>         d-i:~# grub-probe -t drive -d /dev/xvda1
>         (hd0,1)
>
> Seems correct to me, right?

Actually, linux_find_partition() does something different - it converts
an offset on the disk to a partition in Linux notation.

I understand that linux_find_partition() is only used for cache
synchronization.  It may fail in more subtle ways.  And it looks like
support for other devices, such as /dev/i2o, is also missing.

Perhaps linux_find_partition() should default to adding the bare number
(format="%d") and only specifically handle the cases where something
different is needed.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin