grub-devel

Re: Searching UUID on floppies

From: Isaac Dupree
Subject: Re: Searching UUID on floppies
Date: Sat, 31 May 2008 15:06:30 -0400

Robert Millan wrote:
Some of our commands use --no-floppy.  Also supported in GRUB Legacy (by 'find'
or so, can't remember).  Perhaps it's better to use that for consistency?  It
is the floppy scan which everyone hates; for other devices I don't think
people will mind if GRUB spends a few ms on them.

I don't know if it's relevant... but there is a situation that is maybe similar when my MacBook boots up (before it even gets to GRUB), if there's a CD in the drive, it wastes about 15 extra seconds spinning it up to look at it, even if I'm not booting from CD. So that might be a sort of thing to watch out for, when making GRUB search?

-Isaac