grub-devel

Re: Floating point usage

From: Jan Kleinsorge
Subject: Re: Floating point usage
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2008 17:12:26 +0200

Pavel Roskin wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I tried to compile the current grub on Fedora 9 for PowerPC, but it
> failed due to floating point usage in ls.  Sorry, I don't have the exact
> message handy.
>
> Anyway, there are several references to "float" and "double" in the
> code, and I think it's wrong.  GRUB should be able to work on systems
> with no floating point support and on systems where the floating point
> device needs to be activated.  Even Linux kernel avoids using floating
> point.
>
> If everyone is fine, I'll try to remove all floating point stuff from
> the code.

 Hi Pavel,

there is no need for hard-float support on the target machine. The
libgcc provides all the software-emulation routines. Given that GRUB is
linked against it. Which is likely as it is a necessity when compiling
with gcc. Maybe your compilation is simply broken because of that one
missing. Could you please post the error message?

Jan