grub-devel

Re: New developer available :)

From: walt
Subject: Re: New developer available :)
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 14:59:43 -0700

Bean wrote:
On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 4:43 AM, walt<address@hidden>  wrote:
...I'm using grub4dos because
grub2 won't (yet) boot a floppy image or chainload Vista's bootmgr.

Hi,

Well, you can actually achieve these function with some external
tools. Using memdisk, you can emulate a floppy/harddisk image, and
with loadbin, you can chainload ntldr/bootmgr/grldr/stage2, etc.

Hi Bean,

Have you tried booting a dos floppy image with memdisk lately?

I just tried memdisk-3.52 on two different machines using both legacy
and grub2, and nothing worked.  After printing several lines of info
and some hex numbers it prints this:

Starting...

and then the machine hangs forever, needing a hard reset to reboot.
My test image was made from a fresh and tested floppy which I made
using WinXP.

Can anyone duplicate this?  Or not?

Thanks!