grub-devel

Re: grub-probe detects ext4 wronly as ext2

From: Bean
Subject: Re: grub-probe detects ext4 wronly as ext2
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2008 14:49:10 +0800

Hi,

First of all, grub-setup is conservative enough. It read the data
twice, one using host os, one using grub, and compare result. If the
data is corrupted, the comparison will fail and it will refuse to
install. This is an example of good practice,  which check the driver
by function, not by flags. The  flags are a little vague, for example,
if they change btree structure in the future, this would introduce
another flag, but we don't need to worry about it, because we don't
use it at all.

If we can ensure the boot partition can be accessed, then the problem
is solved. Yes, there may be other partition using ext4 that we can't
access, but remember that linux loader will check for signatures as
well, a corrupted kernel would not be loaded. So the difference is
merely the error message users sees, unknown filesystem or invalid
kernel.

And, grub WILL follow the evolution the extN, because it's the primary
boot loader for linux. The only reason we don't have ext4 support at
present is because it's not stable. If major distro starts to use it
as default, we would have to support it as well.

--
Bean