grub-devel

EFI report w/ linux 2.6.26.2

From: Isaac Dupree
Subject: EFI report w/ linux 2.6.26.2
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 08:38:53 -0400

I tested with both video=vesafb and video=efifb on a self-compiled Linux-2.6.26.2 with a config based on Ubuntu's, both with my own compile of GRUB SVN head and with Bean's grub2-efi compile that had mysteriously worked better for me in some ways.

linux /... video=...fb agp=off root=/dev/sda4 gpt
initrd /...
boot

+ loading the 50MB initrd worked fine (I have no idea why my self-compiled Linux .ko modules are 5x the size of Ubuntu's :-) + it booted fine, except the graphics and sound (I could tell because of listening to disk noises and pressing the power button on the login screen did a clean shutdown as normal for Ubuntu; maybe I should've checked ssh-ing) - Linux failed at graphics both in console and X: Linux made a funny pattern on the screen that didn't change (though it was different the two times I tried booting through EFI).
- No sound when there probably should've been

maybe I'm still doing something wrong, I dunno :-) ... BIOS boot is still working great. Although, I tried putting grub2-bios on a USB Flash drive's MBR[is that the right terminology? it is partitioned, not superfloppy], and when I tried booting from it on my MacBook, rEFIt told me that booting it failed and that it's probably because Apple's support for USB-boot is not very good. So I don't think I got even as far as the point of discovering whether grub worked (it had mentioned an odd device.map(IIRC) to me when installing).

-Isaac