grub-devel

grub and root=label=

From: Greg White
Subject: grub and root=label=
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2008 11:02:27 -0500

Hi,

I was wondering if support for root=label= is coming to grub anytime soon?  I
found someone who wrote a patch that did this back in 2004
(http://osdir.com/ml/boot-loaders.grub.bugs/2004-02/msg00105.html).  I really
need a way to do root=label WITHOUT an initrd.  I have a portable USB hard
drive that I boot on a variety of systems.  Sometimes root is sda, sometimes
sdb, or even sdf.  Manually editing the root=line takes time, and more time is
spent on figuring out where root is.  I am using grub 0.97 and would be willing
to switch to grub 2 if it will help me.  I did try root=LABEL=WD320G in my
menu.lst and it didn't work, (I checked the label of the hard drive it is
WD320G).

Thanks,