grub-devel

Re: [RFC] Redesign of the menu system

From: Bean
Subject: Re: [RFC] Redesign of the menu system
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 00:03:48 +0800

On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 11:17 PM, Michal Suchanek<address@hidden> wrote:
> {} block syntax is also widely used and much easier to read and write
> by humans than XML+CSS.
>
> I do not see the reason for pushing XML/CSS everywhere. It's a
> compromise that does not quite work for neither of visual formatting,
> other media formatting, automatic parsing nor user readability.
>
> While you can add additional properties that make it specific enough
> for grub to know what to do (and drop things that grub would not use)
> it is no longer really XML/CSS and the familiarity could be even
> misleading.
>
> XML/CSS was created for the web but does not work even there because
> it is unclear, underspecified, and does not solve problems of media
> representation description that any decent menu system will want to
> solve.
>
> Given that using XML/CSS is contradicting your goal of extensibility.

Hi,

It's just a format to represent data, XML or not, as long as it does
the job, it's ok with me.

The basic requirement would be: component has a name, and various
number of attributes. Some component is container that have child
components.

Currently Colin use a format like this:

+ vbox {
   position = (10, 440)
   preferred_size = (620, 40)
   + label {
      text="Select an item with the arrow keys and press Enter to boot."
      font="lime Regular 11" color=#000
   }
   + label {
      text="Press:  'c' for command line; 't' to switch to non-graphical menu."
      font="lime Regular 11" color=#000
   }
}

If it's fine with others, I'd just stick to it.

--
Bean

gitgrub home: http://github.com/grub/grub/
my fork page: http://github.com/bean123/grub/