grub-devel

Re: Report: compil error on OSX for target=i386

From: Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: Report: compil error on OSX for target=i386
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 23:33:51 +0200

>> Compil and work on OSX.
>>
>> Is it ok to commit it ?
>
> However, on our side, I'm not satisfied at all with accomodating to arbitrary
> limitations like this one.  This seems like a slippery slope.  If we do it
> now, what's the next one?
I agree that we shouldn't support a compiler if it requires a major
inconvenience for GNU, GNU/* developers. However I also think it has
to be decided on case-by-case basis. In this particular case I believe
that using
  /* Enter Linux.  */
  asm volatile ("xorl %%ebx, %%ebx\n"
                "jmp *%1" : : "S" (real_mode_mem), "a" (params->code32_start));
is of any trouble.

> It's much easier to make official GCC a build requirement.  People hacking
> on GRUB source, or distributors (e.g. Fink) should have no problem with a
> dependency on GCC.

It won't do a lot of difference for people really wanting to compile
GRUB. However it makes entry barrier higher. I know that primary goal
of GNU is to provide freedom to freedom-aware people and that users of
proprietary OSes usually don't care about freedom but I also believe
that spreading the word is important. I personally felt the power of
software freedom only when I started coding and recompiling. If users
try the freedom with GRUB they may in the future value it and convert
at later time