grub-devel

Re: Mad idea: grub-fuse

From: Michal Suchanek
Subject: Re: Mad idea: grub-fuse
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2009 13:26:02 +0200

2009/9/7 Colin Watson <address@hidden>:
> On Mon, Sep 07, 2009 at 06:39:13PM +0800, Bean wrote:
>> On Mon, Sep 7, 2009 at 6:18 PM, Colin Watson<address@hidden> wrote:

>> > The level of functionality provided by the existing filesystem modules
>> > would be quite sufficient.
>>
>> Oh I see, you mean the other way around, using the grub fs code to
>> implement a FUSE driver. But I don't see why not just modify os-prober
>> to work with grub-fstest, this is much simpler than writing a FUSE
>> wrapper.
>
> The changes to do that in os-prober would be sufficiently intrusive that
> they simply aren't going to happen (remember that os-prober needs to
> work without GRUB too). A FUSE wrapper would make it possible to just
> replace the mount step, which is much easier from the client side. (Yes,
> I know it's some work in GRUB, which is why this thread is labelled "Mad
> idea".)

This is actually quite useful. The support for BSD filesystems on
Linux is quite poor, and it's the same the other way around but both
implement FUSE.

With FUSE grub can find kernels on any filesystems from which it can
load them regardless of the limitations of the system on which
os-prober runs.

Thanks

Michal