grub-devel

Re: PXEgrub development on grub2

From: Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: PXEgrub development on grub2
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 08:19:56 +0200

Joey Korkames wrote:

>>> This would suffice for reading config and/or default from tftp so the
>>> boot selection can be changed remotely on systems that have PXE.
>
> I use PXE:UNDI all the time with Grub2, per that wiki. Works fine.
>

>>> Is it possible to do something similar on systems that do not have PXE
>>> (ie systems without PXE BIOS or Apple EFI)?
>>
>> We should have network card drivers like GRUB Legacy had.  In GRUB
>> Legacy,
>> they were imported from Etherboot.  In GRUB 2 we can do the same, as
>> long
>> as they're GPL-compatible.
>>

> s/Etherboot/gPXE?
> I use gPXE's UNDI layer by way of pxelinux and that works fine. That
> project has stayed active for quite a long time and I'd think it best
> to integrate/shim their network stack onto GRUB2 than to reinvent the
> wheel (such as what pxelinux->gpxelinux has done). I believe that code
> is all GPL(.v?)

Quick check says that core is under GPLv2+. Some drivers are GPLV2-only
but we can live without them. Another possibility is lwIP but it has no
drivers, only TCP/IP stack. I started experiments with lwIP but haven't
gone far. It shouldn't hold anyone back. If you port gpxe to grub2 then
be sure all files you use are under GPLv2+ and change it to GPLv3+. Your
code should go to grub-extras because it's not original work. This has
also an advamtage of forcing not to add any code in kernel and in
particular avoid increasing core size for non-network setup