grub-devel

Re: Protection of boot sector and embedded area

From: James Courtier-Dutton
Subject: Re: Protection of boot sector and embedded area
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2009 22:57:23 +0100

2009/9/26 Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko <address@hidden>:
> It's generally a bad idea to chase grub out of MBR+embed area. It often
> results in unreliable configurations. Could you detail your usecase so
> we can seek for a bettere solution?

The other thing sitting in the embedded area is a whole disc encryption product.
It takes up about 60 sectors of the 64 sectors of the embedded area.
I don't think that there is a standard way of managing who has
priority over the embedded area.
I think it would be good if one could put grub into the beginning of a
partition.
The problem with this is that I don't know if there is room to put
grub at the beginning of an ext3
 or lvm partition. If it were possible, it would make grub much more
compatible with Dual boot systems.