grub-devel

16-bit bootloader support?

From: Gabe Black
Subject: 16-bit bootloader support?
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2009 14:26:21 -0500

So I have a real-time OS named Pharlap that has a 16-bit bootloader that ends up switching to 32-bit protected mode and loads the OS.  I think it relies on the first sector of the partition being loaded and execution simply started - but in real-mode.

Is there any way to have grub do this (legacy or grub2)?  I tried chainloading, but I think that may be loading it in 32-bit mode.  Any pointers on what code I would have to modify to create that option for grub?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Gabe Black | National Instruments | System Software | 512.683.8761