grub-devel

Re: gettextizing

From: Robert Millan
Subject: Re: gettextizing
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 12:56:15 +0100

On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 10:28:22PM +0000, Carles Pina i Estany wrote:

This one needs some cleanup before it can be gettextized.  Translators
should receive complete messages with no kludges in them.  See
info gettext "Preparing Strings" for more details on that.  For example,
these shouldn't be part of the translatable string:

> -  grub_printf ("\
> +  grub_printf (_("\
>   [ Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported. For the first word, TAB\n\
    ^
>     lists possible command completions. Anywhere else TAB lists possible\n\
                                                                          ^^
> -   device/file completions.%s ]\n\n",
> +   device/file completions.%s ]\n\n"),
                              ^^

Eliminating the newlines is not trivial, but it fixes another problem: this
string doesn't render well on non-80x25 terminals.

> -  grub_printf ("  Booting a command list\n\n");
> +  grub_printf (_("  Booting a command list\n\n"));
> [...]
> -  grub_printf ("\nPress any key to continue...");
> +  grub_printf (_("\nPress any key to continue..."));

I'm not sure if the spaces and newlines here would be a problem.  Jordi,
any comment?

--
Robert Millan