grub-devel

Re: USB device not seen by grub

From: Chris Jones
Subject: Re: USB device not seen by grub
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2009 16:04:53 -0500

On Thu, Dec 03, 2009 at 03:24:31PM EST, Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
wrote:
> Chris Jones wrote:
> >> Can you issue:
> >> debug=all
> >> insmod uhci
> >> insmod usbms
> >> debug=all
> >> ls -l
> >> debug=
> >> ls -l
> >> And to post the result?
> >>

> > Certainly.
> >
> > Any way I could redirect the output to something like a file, both in
> > the interest of efficiency and accuracy?
> >
> No. We don't have any file writing support except saving environment
> because although handy for cases like this it's potentially dangerous. I
> guess you prefer to have to use your camera to take a picture of GRUB
> rather than having GRUB damage your FS.

Don't I hate those camera shots of grub that I see online. They don't
pay tribute to the beauty of the  beast. :-)

One feature I've never come to terms with is that a machine's grub
environment has to live somewhere on the HDD. So if you have a
multi-boot box with a bunch of legacy and future systems under
evaluation alongside your 'production' systems, you have to make a
decision where the active grub should live, which is always
inconvenient. Somehows, mine has so far ended up on a sacrificial goat
of a Karmic ubuntu system.

Along the same lines, I was thinking that if you cloned your grub
environment to external media, and used that to boot the box, said media
could have a some safe playing ground, where you could dump logs,
screenshots or whatever.

Then boot back into one of you systems, mount the media and process the
data - very vague thoughts, I admit, but maybe there's something to it?

Thank you very much for your comments, let me run the above test and
report the outcome.

CJ