grub-devel

Re: autogen.sh warnings

From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: autogen.sh warnings
Date: Mon, 07 Dec 2009 20:50:33 +0100

Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> I did a fresh checkout of revision 1917 and autogen.sh produces
> several warnings, although the configure and make stages are OK.  I am
> using relatively new versions of autoconf and automake:
>
> automake (GNU automake) 1.11
> autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.64
>
> When building, a lot of warnings is a red flag to me.  I've studied
> the code and am attaching the fixes.  autogen.sh now runs cleanly for
> me with a few informational messages.
>
> Below are explanations of what was going on and attached are patches
> to remove all the warnings.

Thanks. I'll let someone more familiar with automake to review automake
parts. Just a comment to import_gcry

> These are generated by util/import_gcry.py by copying (and in some
> cases modifying) the files in lib/libgcrypt to lib/libgcrypt-grub. It
> also creates cipher.h, memory.h, and types.h.
>
> The warnings above appear to be spurious for autogen.sh
crypto and experimental branches have newer import_gcry.py which has
less warning by skipping copying files unnecessary for grub2. If you
want to fix remaining warnings (on rsa, dsa, elgamal, primegen and ecc)
implement assymetric cryptography support (it's planned but may need
changes to core to be useful, there are lower hanging fruits for crypto).

> I added code to util/import_gcry.py  supress the warnings if a third
> parameter is passed.  I then changed autogen.sh to use:
>
> python util/import_gcry.py lib/libgcrypt/ . NoWarn
This NoWarn is just suppressing legitimate warnings

> In a release, the lib/libgcrypt-grub/ directory should be released and
> the lib/libgcrypt/ should probably be suppressed to avoid dependence
> on ruby for non-developers.
import_gcry.py is python, not ruby. Generally ./autogen.sh is ran before
releasing tarball

--
Regards
Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko