grub-devel

Re: RFC: Plan for new "hwmatch" command

From: Brendan Trotter
Subject: Re: RFC: Plan for new "hwmatch" command
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2010 14:22:46 +1030

Hi,

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 3:28 PM, Evan Broder <address@hidden> wrote:
>   Based on some off-list discussion, I'd like to try a different
> angle for the Lua patches I submitted a week or two ago. For context,
> Ubuntu is interested in setting gfxpayload=keep as often as we can in
> the next release [1]. Since gfxpayload=keep doesn't work with all
> hardware/driver combinations, we need a way to selectively turn it on,
> based on a whitelist or blacklist.

I'm curious why setting gfxpayload=keep doesn't work with all
hardware/driver combinations; and by extension, also wondering if
Ubuntu is relying on extending an already over-complicated generic
boot loader (GRUB) to hide symptoms of problems that exist elsewhere
(rather than fixing the problem/s that exist elsewhere, and maybe not
setting gfxpayload=keep until those problems are fixed).

Mostly, I'm wondering where GRUB's responsibilities end and OS
responsibilities start, and how this can effect the GRUB developer's
ability to maintain GRUB in the upcoming months/years/decades; given
that it's easy to add features but almost impossible to remove them.

Cheers,

Brendan