grub-devel

Re: About grub.cfg{.new,} generation

From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: About grub.cfg{.new,} generation
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 16:20:58 +0100

On 01/12/2011 04:00 PM, appzer0 wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'd like to have some info about the 'grub-mkconfig script'. I'm
> packaging grub 1.98.

In few days you should be able to package 1.99.
> Tell me if I'm wrong ; this script generates a
> '/boot/grub/grub.cfg.new' then it renames it to '/boot/grub/grub.cfg'.
Right (modulo additional check)
> I see a line saying:  echo /boot/grub | sed "s,x,x" ; what is it used
> for? The sed command does not change anything here, I think.

You can change the "s,x,x" part adding --transform command line option
to configure. It's useful to change all the pathes used.
> The problem is that slackware and other distributions use a "*.new"
> renaming pattern when upgrading packages, in order to not overwrite
> important config files. Then the user has to deal with these .new
> files, rename, overwrite or toss away.
>
> If 'grub-mkconfig' is really doing what I think it does, then it would
> just overwrite this important file, '/boot/grub/grub.cfg.new'.

grub.cfg shouldn't be packaged at all. It's autogenerated on the target
system.

--
Regards
Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko