grub-devel

Re: [Fwd: GRUB 1.99 Documentation Observation]

From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: [Fwd: GRUB 1.99 Documentation Observation]
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2011 11:47:00 +0100

On 20.12.2011 21:12, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
Forwarding.
  -- Bruce

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: GRUB 1.99 Documentation Observation
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 11:55:54 -0800 (PST)
From: Douglas Morris <address@hidden>

Thanks for your work on documenting grub which I plan to use with my installation of GNU/Linux. I have a comment on the GRUB documentation posted online for version 1.99.

3.4 BIOS Installation, MBR section says: "there are two ways to install GRUB: it can be embedded in the area between the MBR and the first partition (...), or the core image can be installed in a
file system and a list of the blocks that make it up can be stored in the
first sector of that partition."

However, when I look at 3.1 Installing GRUB using grub-install, there is no explanation about where the 'core image' is installed or how its placement is controlled.

The best suitable placement is automatically determined. Block-lists are only a fallback if mbr gap is unavailable and should be avoided due to reliability and security problems.
My observation comes from trying to find out if I can boot GRUB if I 'install' it in a /boot logical partition on an MBR harddrive.
As long as you install to MBR and not to partition it's fine.
I will just try it not knowing the particulars and see what happens. I can always start over using Clonezilla, which seems to have worked for me once.
You need to reinstall bootloader after cloning in any case
It seems that OEM Windows 7 installed in an MBR format will not adapt to the GPT format and I am not paying for MS installation CDs. So no GPT for me.
Microsoft misinforms you that you need EFI to boot on GPT.
Happy Holidays and any religious salutations suitable to your self-identity.

Doug Morris