grub-devel

Re: grub 1.99 add own module / dep problem

From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: grub 1.99 add own module / dep problem
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2012 13:11:01 +0100

On 09.02.2012 12:59, Robert Schumann wrote:
Basically it's about NTFS system partition imaging. Relocating of the
NT bootloader ntldr seems to need a run of "ntfsreloc" with the proper
BIOS values in CHS format. I'm open to every better idea, but that
seemed to be the only reliable way (at least on this i386 Win XP
platform).

Have a look at chainloader --bpb and ntldr commands. They both do the necessary patching. You need to change only partition start and bios disk values. I don't know the behaviour on a system which supports only C/H/S addressing (that would put it around 95, probably even earlier) but I'd expect that such an old machine is simply not powerful enough to run Windows XP. Also any modern system, especially with disks over C/H/S limit (8.3GB) emulate the same 255/63 geometry

--
Regards
Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko