grub-devel

Re: Unclear gettextized strings

From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: Unclear gettextized strings
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 17:27:08 +0100

On 05.02.2012 19:45, Mario Blättermann wrote:
Am 05.02.2012 19:23, schrieb Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko:
We use the word "key" several times to refer to the key that you press but the same word also means a key in catalog and both Yuri and Mario understood messages like "unknown key" in the second sense. I've rephrased those somehow, now it should be clear.
I've translated "key" in sense of an "encryption key" and not a keyboard key, which could be wrong in some (or almost all?) cases. Besides your recent source code changes, you should add some translator comments and send the updated pot file to the TP Robot.
I both agree and disagree. I agree that some of the strings are too short. But I also think that in most cases one should make the string themselves clearer. Also please don't do manual line-breaking in .po since GRUB already handles it and takes the real screen width into account. I've submitted the new tgz. It contains also .po which is fixed a bit. I hope that TP robot will pick those de.po and uk.po

--
Regards
Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko