grub-devel

Nasty bug with fonts and jpg background

From: Chris C
Subject: Nasty bug with fonts and jpg background
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2012 03:48:33 +0100

Hi all

I am still working on tracking this down but grub2-mkconfig bails out
while processing the 00_header script.

Line 163 of the header script:

( prepare_grub_to_access_device `${grub_probe} --target=device
"${font_path}" )

If i comment out this line it allows the program to jump over this
script and continue.

It then bails out again when you have a jpg set in
the /etc/default/grub set. It then reports correctly yet bails out:

( terminal_output gfxterm
  Found background: /boot/NoEvilLinux.jpg )

If i remove the line out of my /etc/default/grub

( #GRUB_BACKGROUND="/boot/NoEvilLinux.jpg" ) then the program continues
to process and makes a grub.cfg successfully.

Of course while the program bails out it remains in the grb.cfg.new
and is incomplete as it never got to process any further scripts
beyond the header script.

Of course the most important failure to deal with is the fonts one that
i commented out as a quick bodge to step over it. Any help on
tracking it down is greatly appreciated and i hope this
helps out in making it more stable for future release.

Thanks all and i am loving this version of grub so its well worth all
the efforts.