grub-devel

Re: Standalone Application in GRUB

From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: Standalone Application in GRUB
Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 12:26:41 +0200

On 31.05.2012 12:03, Parul Aggarwal wrote:

> Thanks Vladimir.
>
> 1. In uboot we can have standalone application (which uses uboot
> functions) compiled and run independently on uboot prompt. As I
> understand from your comments that in GRUB this is not possible. We
> wanted to run the application in a way similar to memtest in GRUB. But
> our application wants to use GRUB functions.

It's not possible because of 3 factors:
- On all platforms except EFI (and EMU) GRUB is prelinked at
predetermined address.
- All protocols except appleloader, EFI chainloader, newer linux, ia64
linux, ppc linux and sparc64 linux also load at predetermined address.
- We don't have a complete control over memory map.
Under such circumstances there is no way to ensure that there is no
overlap between GRUB and payload.
So you can't use GRUB functions.

> 2. If I use dynamically loaded GRUB module for my application, does that
> mean that also I cannot compile module independently. Do i need to
> compile the whole GRUB for that?

Currently dependency tracking is done at compile time and there is no
way to dependency-track 2 sets of modules at the same time. Patches are
welcome.--
Regards
Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko