grub-devel

Re: grub-efi with latest mac mini

From: Georg Wicherski
Subject: Re: grub-efi with latest mac mini
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2012 10:52:42 +0200

On 06/04/2012 10:12 AM, John Frankish wrote:
> I've been trying to get grub-efi to work with the latest mac mini.

Assuming that you're speaking about the Mid-2011 Mini that I have.

> To avoid having no way to boot if I cannot get grub-efi to work, I'm booting
> via rEFIt at the moment.

I simply wrote my GRUB to the EFI FAT partition at BOOTX64.EFI . You can
then press the right Alt (Gr) key on your keyboard while powering on the
Mini and select "EFI" from the native boot selection menu, it will then
launch Grub. Once you feel satisfied with your setup, you can probably
bless this as the default loader (never tried, not feeling so save yet).
No need for rEFIt.

My initrd and kernel also reside on the EFI FAT partition, so I don't
need any FS support but FAT in grub (I have HFS+ for supporting OS X at
some point, but currently still using the default loader for OS X).

Building Grub 1.99 from source and invoking mkimage.sh from the build
folder, it'll create my GRUB image with all I need for the Mini. My
config is attached, too. You just need to substitute XXX with the /
partition of your Linux and YYY with your kernel version.

Georg