grub-devel

Re: Where is GRUB development?

From: Lennart Sorensen
Subject: Re: Where is GRUB development?
Date: Mon, 13 May 2013 15:54:46 -0400

On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 11:43:50AM -0700, Bruce Korb wrote:
> Well, my distro (openSuSE) generates a special entry for "rescue"
> mode, too.  But it rescues me into run level 5.  "init 3" will,
> indeed, drop me back to multi-user and "init 1" back to single user,
> but without a reboot, various dinkleberries were an interference. (I
> forget why -- perhaps a misperception.  I'm not at home right now.)

Well runlevels and their meanings are a user space issue.  1 is only
single user by tradition, it doesn't have to be.

Really not something a boot loader can know or care about.

> I have learned that in the grub2 menu mode, you can press "e" and all
> of a sudden you can edit the command line.  It seems my request boils
> down to some documentation.  In the menu code so when I'm looking at
> the menu, there should be something to indicate that I can press "e"
> and edit the line to include a "1" at the end of the line.  I know
> that theoretically every operating system can have command line
> operands that are completely different.  In practicality, however,
> they are 99.99% UNIX derivatives so pressing five keys to get to
> -- right?  Not at home to try….

Hmm, I thought it was right on the screen that e was edit.  I guess if
you use a graphical menu it might not be there.

And of course you ahve to hit control-x to boot your custom entry as
far as I remember.

--
Len Sorensen