grub-devel

Re: How to develop and integrate brand new module into GRUB2?

From: Mat Troi
Subject: Re: How to develop and integrate brand new module into GRUB2?
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2013 15:03:36 -0700

Hi Vijayakumar Venganti,

Sorry I overlooked your email last week :-(  I had the same question before and below is how I got it to work.  You need to regenerate Makefile.in file in your grub-core folder.  First, you need to modify Makefile.core.am to include your new module; to see how to do this, search in Makefile.core.am for "hello" module.  You also need to modify Makefile.core.def; again to see how to do this, search in Makefile.core.def for "hello" module.  On another machine (will be referred to as machine B), you need to install m4-1.4.6 at ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/m4/, install autoconf-2.64, install automake-1.11.2.  Make sure your $PATH points to the stuff you just installed.  Then in your grub2 directory there should be a file named autogen.sh. Copy autogen.sh and tries to run it on machine B.  There will be warnings/errors for missing files, depending on the warnings/errors copy files from grub2 folder over to machine B.  After autogen.sh runs successfully, copy Makefile.in back to your work environment and from there run your normal build.

I hope this helps,
Mat Troi

On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 12:35 AM, Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko <address@hidden> wrote:
On 26.09.2013 09:28, Vijayakumar Venganti wrote:
> Dear Friends,
>
> I need to develop a new module and integrate into GRUB2. I already have
> the code written, my question is how to integrate the code into the
> existing GRUB2 build system so that the code gets built when make is
> entered at GRUB2's top level directory?
>
> My module is located at <Working
> directory>/grub2/grub-core*/testmodule/Makefile*
> So, I want to run the Makefile inside testmodule and integrate that
> module into GRUB2.
> Any help is greatly appreciated..

Do not create your own Makefile. Look at grub-conf/Makefile.core.def