grub-devel

Re: booting btrfs

From: Chris Murphy
Subject: Re: booting btrfs
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2013 20:16:24 -0700

On Dec 22, 2013, at 10:32 PM, Chris Murphy <address@hidden> wrote:

> If relative paths are used, neither core.img nor grub.cfg needs to be
> modified, because merely a user space program changing the default subvolume
> would cause the existing core.img and grub.cfg to boot the snapshot.

This seems wrong on second thought. The grub.cfg boot param
rootflags=subvol=<path> is interpreted by the kernel, not grub. And for Btrfs
subvolume paths are always absolute. Same as fstab.

In that case, getting grub to do paths relative to the default subvolume only
helps core.img point to the desired snapshot where /boot/grub/grub.cfg is
located. The alternative is to write out a new core.img. Another is to ensure
/boot is not being snapshot. So we should be clear on the benefits of
snapshotting /boot vs the added complexity.

Chris Murphy