grub-devel

Re: Deterministic grub-mkimage

From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: Deterministic grub-mkimage
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2015 21:08:51 +0100

On 29.12.2014 12:08, Andrew Clausen wrote:
> Hi Jonathan,
>
> On 29 December 2014 at 06:29, Jonathan McCune <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> One solution would be to:
>>>  * build deterministically by default by using a constant timestamp, and
>>
>> I think doing this by default would be a poor choice, as most of the time
>> during development it is very useful to easily identify which version /
>> build / experiment / etc is in use.
>
> I agree that during development, timestamps might be useful.  Although
> I've never found them particularly helpful myself -- they aren't as
> easy as, say, having a text file sitting in the same directory saying
> which git commit it is.  In fact, including the git commit somewhere
> in the binary would be both more helpful and deterministic.  (I am
> happy to supply a patch for this.)  Have you ever used time stamps?

We already have modinfo.sh. It would be a good place to put commit. In
fact it already includes version. The best would be to add
+g<commit>[-dirty] to version when building from git.
My main concern is that EFI itself might use the timestamp for some
weird caching but this shouldn't be the case. Other than that I'd be ok
with hardcoding it to unix time
1420070400 (Jan 1, 2015, midnight UTC)
Can you prepare the patches for both things?